Saturday, January 16, 2010

Should I answer chronologically or alphabetically

"To SHERLOCK HOLMES she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a lover he would have placed himself in a false position...[1]" Dr. Watson Speaking about a fictional character probably more famous and heroic than James Bond, but filmed much less often. A British Director, An American actor, A German Music Composer, A French Director of Photography made a movie based on an English Fictional Character. The idea of Cocktails crept into movies, earlier Greek Hero Achilles and Tojan Hero Hector used to have conversations in English with an American Accent[2]. Now it is different, Colonel Hans Landa makes a humble request in French to begin a conversation in English[3]. Synergy is the key to the success of today's movies.
An ideal for atleast half of my childhood and my complete teenage, sherlock holmes and his methods always fascinated me. The older Sherlock Holmes on the screen [4] never matched to the one in the back of my head. To my surprise, Guy Ritchie did a commendable attempt. Though many of the memorable quotes in the movie took their place from Arthur Conan Doyle's literature, it is no wonder he is listed among the writers.
Rocky Road to Dublin by The Dubliners[5] is still ringing in my ears, I don't understand the significance of the song. The crazy experiments, the between-jobs phase, the reasoning - I have no words to describe the sheer pleasure of staring at the screen with highly receptive ears enjoying their way through the compositions of Hans Zimmer. There are no specific parts I would like to comment, the entire movie is awesome.

[1] Excerpt from "A Scandal in Bohemia"

[2] From the movie Troy

[3] From the movie Inglourious Basters during "The Verdict"

[4] The seven percent solution specifically

[5] Originally an Irish folk song, written long back atleast one-and-a-half centuries.

No comments: